Boating courses for new and experienced BC boaters
Become a Yacht Captain! Customizable Cruise-and-Learn courses for new and experienced boaters gives you the hands-on experience you need for confidence out on the water.
Cruise-and-Learn programs are a practical and effective way to learn boating or to brush up on your skills. Unlike other boating programs, ours are designed around your schedule. The theory component based on International Sail and Power Association self-study manuals means no stuffy classroom and learning at your own pace. 20 hours per manual is the suggested minimum. In order to receive a certificate at the end of your course, each student will need their own set of manuals.
YOUR FIRST COURSE: COMPETENT CREW & DAY SKIPPER
The first course covers modules 1-a and 1-b (Competent Crew and Day Skipper) which, upon successful completion, will enable you to operate and charter similar boats on your own. You will need to purchase your manuals ahead of time, one for each course, and complete them before beginning the on-water component.
The on-water component will take a minimum of four days on powerboats, and 5 days for sailboats. Instructors can teach up to four students at a time provided the vessel will accommodate everyone. We encourage groups of four to book an extra day of on-water training to ensure ample learning time. Booking too few days could prevent completion of the course.
Advantages of the Cruise-and-Learn structure:
- Experience the BC boating lifestyle and explore local cruising areas while you learn
- Build your course around your schedule—not the other way around.
- Gain practical experience that gives you the confidence and experience to safely enjoy independent boating
- obtain internationally recognized certifications that will help you charter worldwide
COASTAL NAVIGATION CERTIFICATE
Coastal Navigation is a self-study module that involves chart plotting. Most of the work is done at-home, but will need to be approved by an instructor. This module can be completed alongside module 1 (Competent Crew and Day Skipper) or as part of the Coastal Skipper module.
ADVANCED COURSE: COASTAL SKIPPER
This certificate covers advanced boating. One self-study manual and 5+ days of on-water instruction are required.
Available Training for Vancouver Yacht Rentals
Bareboat charter training: getting to know your boat before you charter it. Blue Pacific Yacht Charters Vancouver offers a variety of training options to suite your needs:
- At the start of every charter, we perform a standard “Check Out” that will familiarize you with the boat’s operating systems and safety equipment locations. This procedure typically takes under an hour; however our experienced maintenance team is glad to spend more time to answer all of your questions.
o You will also be provided with an on-board manual for your reference. Most of these manuals are available in PDF form on our website to download and/or print if you would like to review them before your arrival.
HOURLY AND DAILY INSTRUCTION:
- Boat Handling and Docking Practice: Blue Pacific is happy to provide any additional training to build your confidence with our charter boats. Whether you need a quick refresher, docking practice, boat-handling, or a full boating course, we are glad to help. Please call or email to discuss your requirements. We would be glad to work with you to build a personalized training plan.
- We also offer fully customizable Cruise-And-Learn courses Based on the International Sail and Power Association guidelines. Upon completion, you will receive internationally recognized certification and valuable hands-on boating experience.